The hospitals and clinics that we humans go to on a regular basis are not the only healthcare facilities that need a proper energy management plan. A veterinary hospital or veterinary clinic can and should be equally energy efficient!
Energy Efficiency in Veterinary Hospitals
Energy efficiency in hospitals and clinics is of vital importance no matter the species of the patients. Why? Because healthcare facilities typically require a large amounts of uninterrupted energy supply.
Veterinary clinics and animal hospitals have similar energy needs to any medical service, since they provide similar services as any other type of hospital, including:
- Keeping patients (our pets) and healthcare personnel as comfortable as possible
- Regulatory compliance with strict health and safety protocols
- Proactive maintenance of facilities and equipment.
- Securing an uninterrupted energy supply
For facilities that provide healthcare services, such as hospitals or veterinary clinics, energy spend accounts for about 20% of fixed costs. Reducing energy consumption therefore not only results in helping the hospital drive down those fixed costs, but also helps the entire facility become a more efficient and environmentally sustainable.
DEXMA Partner Audit Energy, expert energy management firm, has deep experience in implementing energy efficiency projects across the healthcare sector. Though Audit has many success stories of energy management in clinics and hospitals, today we’ll take a closer look at the success case of Canis Veterinary Hospital.
How the Canis Veterinary Hospital Saved € 23,000 with Energy Efficiency in Healthcare
The Canis Veterinary Hospital in Girona, Spain, provides animal care 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Its facility measures more than 2,000 m2 and includes:
- 6 consultation rooms
- 3 operating rooms
- Pre-surgery room
- Radiology room
- Ultrasound room
- Rehabilitation room
Add to all of that the individual rooms for pet hospitalisation, including “suites” for larger animals, plus their corresponding outdoor patios. Being both very large and multifunctional, this healthcare facility requires an uninterrupted energy supply.
Canis Veterinary Hospital also has a sophisticated system for ventilation and air purification to avoid possible infections that can come from air pollution or noxious odours. It is considered one of the best veterinary healthcare facilities in Spain.
The management team at the Canis Veterinary Hospital quickly understood the importance of a solid energy management plan for their healthcare facilities. Their energy challenges were:
- Optimise energy procurement (energy and contracted power). In a hospital, contracted power becomes vital since full services must be provided to emergency facilities that cannot lose their power supply under any circumstances.
- Detect the appropriate level of daily energy consumption (i.e. which loads are consuming the highest amount of energy) as well as nightly consumption (to understand what can be reduced). In the case of Canis, the challenge was to start monitoring the main meter, which had never been accounted for in the overall assessment of the building’s energy use.
- Install renewable energy sources (Canis opted for a rooftop solar installation) to advance self-generation capabilities.
- Following the rooftop solar installation, the final challenge was to monitor and optimise the hospital’s sub-metering situation.
After conducting the procurement audit, Audit Energia managed to reduce the weighted average price per invoice, thus overcoming one of Canis’ main energy challenges.
As a key part of its intervention, Audit used DEXCell Energy Manager to carry out an exhaustive analysis of consumption and sub-consumption, detecting the problem areas and implementing energy conservation measures that resulted in a savings of 59% in energy consumption and 68% off the final energy bill of Canis Veterinary Hospital. Total savings achieved? More than € 23,000:
DEXCell Energy Manager not only helped Audit Energía to analyse existing sub-consumption, but it also played a fundamental role in managing the solar PV installation on the roof of Canis Veterinary Hospital, thanks to the SolarView, a specially designed app for solar power management.
For more details on how Audit Energia and Canis Veterinary Hospital achieved this energy success story together, download the full case study here or below: